If Only they were that simple

"have you heard of MBTI ?"

"you should try this test. It's cool"

"you're XXXX type? Mine's XXXX"

Been many times ever since I got my first test of MBTI. Back in high school, the test was one popular pseudo-psychological profiling used by our student organization to categorize a person's character. Aside drom the four temperaments, the MBTI was quite a topic. I took a test, and the result were quite astonishing. I was an ENTJ, also known as the commander. Compared to how I was in junior high, I was a loud, bossy, dominating person. I always up to challenge, wanted to be in command. For the record, I tried to be someone that I'm not. I wasn't much for telling many people this and that. My personalities were a mess. I ended up connecting with so much people, staying away from the crowd, so that I'll attain the peace that I've been looking for. I ended up alone and lonely, but that was the best for me. 

Years passed, and the discussion about MBTI in college was quite popular as well. I told my friends that I will ended up as someone weird and annoying, but they didn't buy it.  So, I took the test again, and the result wasn't that much of a difference; it was INTJ. I recalled my ENTJ persona and compare it with the INTJ: both were very clear about the delusion of grandeur. If the ENTJs are portrayed as the Commander, then an INTJ will be the mastermind, or an Architect. I was astonished when I read the profile (wasn't much paying attention to my ENTJ profile back then). Comparing them both, the difference is just the first letter in the typing; where as the ENTJs gather energy from the people, INTJs get mentally drained by interacting too much. I believed that such positive and negative qualities are not something befitting in particular to any of the 16 personalities. But some of the stereotyping was quite accurate (at least, in my case). 

INTJ were also called the mastermind, stereotypical villain, the coldest human, the schemer, etc. But the thing I realized, is the fact that I love to plan, arranging things, projecting my vision as many as possible. Before I started to analyze something, I'll imagine a scenario (worst first), so that when I failed or succeed in doing something, I will not be so emotionally exhausted. I won't act without a proper plan, which is why, spontaneous activity were not an option. I don't really like a sudden change in the course of action, so an improvization was not my thing. 

I discussed much about this stereotyping when I dated my ex-girlffriend. She's ENFP; one of those who will actively approach INTJ until their solid mental barrier got disabled. I was quite an intimidating person (glaring, tall, with few expressions) to some, but not one to judge people. She was into me at the first sight. We discussed so much about the MBTI, joking about how true and similar the stereotyping was. Most of my ex were extrovert AKA people person. They made my world being lively and warm. But somehow, deep inside, I don't really like their loud and clumsiness. What made things worse, was that how insensitive I was. I don't really like being emotional. When my girlfriend was about to be enraged by what I did/said,
I'd stay away, shutting my phone off. By the next week, they asked for a meeting. They told me, that I'm such a horrible person, leaving them when they need me the most. "I lost her, she hates me because I'm not much of a boyfriend material for her", was the only thing I'd say in such state. 

 Later, I read that most INTJs online dealt with the same thing. How the stereotyping was accurate; how couping with emotion was our Achilles' heel. I browsed many things about INTJ, and I found that some of us are generally about those who shutted their feelings deep inside. We tried to be logical, trying to fulfill our high standard, whether they were for ourself, our crush or our lover. We will try all possible things to fulfill our vision of the future, and a good companionship is necessary. But some of these were backfired, when people realized that I am such a manipulative, coercive person. 

I still read INTJ or MBTI-related topics, so much that I'll persuade a friend to take the test, to see what their typings are. Some good friend was INTP, INFP, and ISTJ. I rarely keep Extroverted person as a best friend, cause they'll make me meet a lot of people, and the last thing I hate about them, is the fact that they talk about people issue (gossip, someone else's life, etc). Lately, I befriended an INFJ, and she made me dwell into my own feelings (I hate to express them, but I hope that I'll get used to it someday). 

One of my friend was far more obsessed with the MBTI's scoring. Each time,  he'll take the test with different answers, so that he'll understand them better. He approached me with such acumen, telling me that I'm wrong about many things regarding MBTI. I asked, "how so? Educate me". He told me that human emotions and personalities are much more complex than what the MBTI described, and how callous for me to judge someone just by their typing. He saw my friend as "not so introverted or as ideal as I perceive them to be". I was stunned, silenced.  What I did, he said, was no different than those astrology or zodiac lovers. I brought my last trump card, telling him how I wish life would be so much simpler if you can understand someone by their characterization. I had so much difficulty relating with people's feelings. I don't know what to do, most of the times. If I know what their typings are, I'll just read the type descriptions, and find the solution to deal with them. The data might not be totally holistically available, but they worked. 

I have no idea about what you reader's typings are, but it will be simpler if I know, what kind of personality who felt the same. I read MBTI for fun or case studies, in case something similar ever happen.

Comments

Popular Posts